Dalgona Coffee is a frozen drink that appears with a very smooth and sweet coffee froth on top. The combination of cold milk and the heavy sweet coffee is something that originated in heaven. Moreover, the most satisfying part is that you can perform it without any special machines. Only you need is some arm muscle and persistence. Dalgona coffee is a beautiful frozen drink caused by whipping even balances of instant coffee, sugar, and hot water until it becomes smooth and then adding it to cold or hot milk.
You can top with instant coffee, choco chips, crumbled biscuits, or your favourite ice cream scoop. From TikTok videos to Instagram posts, its two-toned look and sugary taste have made it an at-home favorite for people around the world who are inept to get their usual coffee fix while social distancing. Its simplicity combine equal parts instant coffee, sugar, hot water, and whip also arguably makes it the perfect specialty coffee alternative.
The beverage’s beginnings can be traced to the Indian subcontinent, where it is called fetano (Bengali) (“beaten coffee”, “whipped coffee”), and has long been popular there before going viral on social media. Its viral status on social media appeared as a sequence of Jung Il-woo, a South Korean actor who toured in Macau and gave it the nickname dalgona.
Under the hashtag #dalgonacoffeechallenge, homemade versions of dalgona coffee began spreading on South Korean YouTube channels before going viral on TikTok.Now, what is the reason behind the name of Dalgona Coffee?? The sweet and sharp taste of the coffee foam has is very similar to Dalgona, and the color too. I think it’s an excellent drink for people who miss going to coffee shops and also who have some extra time on their hands. Make this and it will put a smile on your face because it tastes as good as it looks.
Does it have to be Instant Coffee?
No, you can perform it with drip coffee with a filter but it requires to be very strong. I will explain to you how to make it at the bottom of the post. French Press and Mocha Pot will not work well since these are cooked, not clarified drip coffee.
What kind of sugar can you use to make beaten coffee?
You should use granulated sugar. You can use white sugar, brown sugar, raw sugar as per your choice.
Can I make whipped coffee without sugar?
Yes, you can. But while it does fluff up in the same amount of time, it doesn’t stay fluffy as long as the sugar version. The sugar version stays fluffy for hours, this stays as fluffy for about 2 minutes, then begins to slowly dissolve for another 5 minutes until it’s liquid again. So I will recommend making it with sugar if you want to see this as fluffy as in our recipe.
I don’t have a hand mixer. How else can I make whipped coffee?
You can make whipped Coffee using a stand mixer, a hand blender or hand whisk and by hand! Making it by hand took me about 10 minutes. The key is to do back and forth/side-to-side whisking in a zig-zag motion, instead of only in large circles. I would recommend using a whisk and not a spoon because it takes so long with a spoon and your arms will be tired! You do want to ensure you’re doing it in a bowl and not a mug or a jar, so that enough air is whipped into it.
How to make whipped coffee?
For this dalgona coffee, the beaten coffee is the most important things that you need. Beaten coffee is made up of only 3 ingredients. To make beaten coffee, add 2 tablespoons of instant coffee, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water to a clean bowl. Using a hand mixer, you whisk/whip it together for about anywhere from 2 minutes to 5 minutes. To keep your whipped Coffee vegan, use any vegan milk (such as almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, cashew milk or any other). After you’ve made the whipped part, pour some of your favorite vegan milk (1 cup of it) into a glass with some ice if you’re doing an iced coffee. Spoon/scoop the whipped coffee on top, then stir it into the milk to combine.
- Hand blender
- 2 tbsp Instant coffee
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Water
- 3/4th cup Chilled Milk
- Take a bowl and add coffee, sugar, water in1:1:1 ratio.( you can easily double or triple the ingredients as per yourrequirement).
- By using a hand blender or hand mixer and whip on of the higher speed for five minutes.ORBy hand (using a round whisk) , first mix the coffee, sugar, and water until everything is dissolved. Then start whisking for about 10 minutes or whisk about 400 hundred times.
- Take a cup and fill the cup by 2/3rd of it with cold milk.
- Using the piping bag, add the whipped foam to the top of the cup. Sprinkle the top with some Choco chips.
- Mix it with a spoon to make a latte or just enjoy it as it with a little foam.
- You can store leftover foam in the refrigerator. The instant coffee foam is quite stable and will keep for a couple of days at least. The drip coffee version will start to separate and you will see the coffee liquid collecting on the bottom after a day or so but the flavor will still be good.
- You are finding this too sweet?? You can use just 1 Tsp sugar and it will still work. You can also use a sugar replacement like honey.
- For a HOT Dalgona coffee, warm up your milk and combine foam on top.